In episode #79 of The Writing Coach podcast, I speak with publicity coach and founder of the Build Your Brand Academy Chris Well.
Chris is a media veteran who has worked more than 30 years in professional media. He’s been a magazine editor, columnist, journalist, broadcaster, and college instructor, with field experience covering music, publishing, human interest, and more. Also a published novelist, Chris has written suspense and mysteries for traditional publishers and as a self-published author. He and his wife live in Tennessee.
During our discussion, Chris describes:
- Why he feels compelled to help authors understand and navigate the media outreach process
- What he has learned working on both sides of the fence as both a media professional and an author
- How, after landing a traditional publishing contract, he was forced to lower his expectations regarding what a publisher has to offer when it comes to publicity and marketing
- The major differences between old media (magazines, newspapers, TV, and radio) and new digital media platforms (online videos, podcasts, and blogs)
- His surprising advice about "leading with the book"
- How book marketing is similar to farming
- And much more!
Click below to listen now: